Wednesday, December 3, 2008

When you just can't take the leftovers any more.

So for the past few days, I have been content with Thanksgiving leftovers.

Now I'm over it. I cannot face another turkey sandwich.


When I did my grocery shopping, I may have gone a Little overboard. Aside from over spending, I also find myself with several ingredients that weren't needed for our feast and that I don't want to waste.

In my pantry I had left over fennel, onions, garlic and some homemade stock.

I also happened to have some pasta and some sweet italian sausage.

Mom #2 makes this great Italian soup. This seemed a perfect way to make use of these ingredients without revisiting the flavors of Thanksgiving.


I received some feedback from the first post that you would like to see recipes. When possible I will provide these.



WHITE BEAN, FENNEL AND SAUSAGE SOUP

8 Servings

2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, skinned and crumbled
2 medium or 1 large fennel bulbs (about 1 pound) coarsely chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
6 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley or fresh basil, firmly packed
6 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
1 28-oz. can Italian peeled tomatoes and juice
2 cups cooked white beans such as cannellini or Great Northern, rinse if canned
1 cup cooked macaroni or small shells
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Parmesan cheese, grated
Fennel leaves for garnish

1. In large heavy non-reactive skillet, heat the oil. Stir in the sausage and cook over high heat until well browned, about 5 minutes. Drain off all the fat. Lower the heat to moderate and add the fennel, onions, garlic and parsley. Cook until the vegetables are just crisp-tender, 10-15 minutes.
2. Add the chicken stock and the tomatoes with their juice. Break up the tomatoes with a spoon and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
3. When ready to serve, stir in the beans and cooked shells and heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in shallow soup bowls with grated parmesan and fennel leaves on top.


Enjoy your leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. nice recipe. very easy to make and follow. I had to substitute mild sausage instead of sweet, and since i was a little short on onion, I switch for scallions instead. Besides the green part of the scallions, added to the garnish. I would certainly make this again.

    ReplyDelete