Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dinner with Friends

I had my friends C & E over for dinner the other night. We had a great time enjoying my favorite things, listening to good music and drinking wine.

We also made some good food. This Beef Burgundy is a Rachel Ray recipe but it is a good, easy one. It's one of her 30 minute meals. It usually seems to take me 40 minutes and it's easy to stretch to an hour, in a social situation.

Rachel's Recipe

If you use the pearl onions, as she suggests, it is better. I always have a couple of regular onions around and find this tastes almost as good, with no additional cost or labor. I also just put this over whatever pasta or rice I have lying around. There may be better meat choices than sirloin. I'd recommend a juicier cut, more like a ribeye. Not enough cooking time is involved for proper "slow and low" cooking to tenderize the cheaper cuts. You could get away with the sirloin or stew beef. Just start with a little more liquid and cook it for longer. Near the end of the cooking I like to stir in a little milk or cream. It helps with the overall consistency of the sauce and adds a smoothness to the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment