Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Ready For Spirng

Last week I went to a nearby tapas restaurant with a friend. While perusing the menu, something caught my eye. Shrimp in a honey chile sauce sounded perfect. It has been warm in Georgia over the past few days and this has me longing for spring, with its blustery weather, budding trees, warm aromas, and the return of fresh foods.

The problem was that I was left underwhelmed by honey chile sauce.

Of course this got me thinking...

So, I invited my friend over for dinner later that week and began scouring recipes for something that still held the comfort food values of winter, but with the promise of a spring to come. This is what I found.

Seared Scallops with Mango and Melon Salsa

This didn't satisfy my longing for honey or chiles, but it was close. When making the Salsa I began by whisking together some honey and Sriracha sauce, learning a valuable lesson about the strength of the rooster! A Little goes a long way when it comes to Sriracha. Consider yourself forewarned.

I followed the recipe for the remainder of the salsa. It is definitely beneficial to leave this in the fridge for a while to let the flavors combine. This salsa was good with dinner but fatastic the next day. I found myself in front of the fridge, spoon in hand, more times than I would care to admit.

When discussing this recipe in advance, with eyes to a starch, someone at work quipped, “Well, I think just about anything is divine served on top of mashed potatoes." Such words of wisdom are not easily ignored.

Dinner was great. The company was better. It was a good recipe and fun evening.

...and I got both my spring and my chile fix.

1 comment: